Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 200g caster (or superfine granulated) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 220ml soya (soy) milk
- Juice of half a lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 4 tbsp)
- 200g icing (confectioners) sugar , sifted
- Rice paper flowers and/or butterflies
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F. Line a loaf tin with a paper liner.\
2. Mix the vegetable oil and sugar together in a large bowl. Add in the lemon zest, flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and milk. Beat together with a wooden spoon to combine. Stir in the lemon juice.
3. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and place in the oven for 35-45 minutes until golden and cooked through (you can test this by inserting a metal skewer into the centre of the cake – if it’s cooked, it should come out clean).
4. Take the cake out of the oven. Mix together the caster sugar and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice. Poke several holes in the hot cake and spoon over the sugar-lemon mixture. Leave to cool in the tin. This first topping adds a more intense lemony flavour and moisture to the cake.
5. Once cool, remove from the tin and remove the loaf liner.
6. Place the icing sugar in a bowl and add half of the remaining lemon juice. Stir with a whisk until combined. Add more lemon juice as required until you have a thick drizzle.
7. Spoon the icing mixture over the cake. Arrange rice paper flowers and butterflies on top.
8. Cut the cake into slices and serve.